This Tomato Pie is Fresh and Perfect for Summer
Here at the Elevated Cook, we think of spring as tomato season! Off season tomatoes just don't compare!
If you're French you'll call it a tart, but with good tomatoes, all will call it yummy. Cherokee purple is a fantastic heirloom tomato. You might find them at your local farmer's market.
This dish is super simple and (big surprise) fabulous with roast chicken! You can make it ahead and serve at room temperature to simply life. If you want to make your own pie dough - big props! But don't hesitate to go with a premade shell - the tomato is the star of this show!
- 1 pie shell, either prebaked or not
- 8 oz shredded cheese (your favorite- I like Gouda)
- 1 tsp Positano spice rub
- 1 tsp Santa Clara spice rub
- 4-5 ripe tomatoes (mixed colors looks great)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Grated pecorino Romano
- About 2 oz goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- Pre heat oven to 375
- Fill the pie shell with your favorite shredded cheese
- Sprinkle spice rubs on top
- Core the tomatoes (a tomato corer is handy for this- we call them tomato sharks)
- Use a serrated knife to slice the tomatoes into about 1/4" slices
- Season lightly with salt and pepper
- Arrange tomato slices on top of cheese
- Sprinkle Romano and goat cheese crumbles on top of tomatoes
- Bake for about 30 minutes (10 minutes less if using a prebaked shell)
- Allow to cool before slicing
- Take a bow your tomato-ness!