What's a better way to end Thanksgiving and say goodbye to Fall than with a pumpkin pie! Here's our tried and true recipe.
- 1 (8 oz) package softened cream cheese
- 2.5 cups mashed canned pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, plus slightly beaten egg
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon optional ground ginger
- 1 piece pre-made pie dough
- Whipped cream (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a piece of pie dough into a pie pan and press firmly along the bottom and all sides. Pinch the edges together to make a pretty pattern, and then put the shell back into the freezer for 1 hour until it is firm. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is dried out and beginning to color.
- For the filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon and ginger, if using, and beat until incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, or until the center is set. Place the pie on a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Cut into slices and top each piece with a generous amount of whipped cream.